Animal Control

Community Service Officer Justin Hoffman is responsible for monitoring the welfare of domestic and wild animals and ensuring the safety of citizens from animal annoyance or other animal contacts that pose health risks.  His tasks include retrieving animals at large, transporting injured animals, and investigating animal bites and cruelty/neglect cases.

If you have any questions or concerns, or would like to make an animal complaint please contact CSO Justin Hoffman at 920-492-2995 or Report all cases of suspected abuse or mistreatment; you can remain anonymous!


How many dogs and cats can I have in the Village of Ashwaubenon?

You are allowed to have up to 2 dogs and/or 2 cats at one time in the Village.  This includes any animals you have in your possession except for a liter of pups or kittens, or a portion of a litter which may be kept for up to 8 weeks from birth.

Do I need any sort of license for my dog or cat from the Village of Ashwaubenon?

Yes, in accordance to state law, the Village of Ashwaubenon requires every person residing in the Village who owns a dog or cat which is more than 5 months of age on January 1st to obtain a license for each animal annually.

Animal licenses can be obtained from the Treasurer's office at the Ashwaubenon Village Hall.  The fees are as follows:

Neutered or Spayed Cat                 $4.00

Unneutered or Unspayed Cat          $9.00

Neutered or Spayed Dog                $4.00

Unneutered or Unspayed Dog         $9.00

In addition to the above fees, a late fee of $5.00 will be assured if the owner of an animal over 5 months of age failed to obtain a license prior to April 1st of each year, or within 30 days of acquiring ownership of a licensable dog.

Why do I need to have a license for my cats and dogs?

Having cats and dogs licensed by municipality is a state law.  This type of licensing assures that animals are up to date in their shots and vaccinations.  Also, animals who are off of their property are required to wear a collar with the tag provided when you get your license.  This tag has a unique number on it allowing officials to identify animals and their owners.

I have an "outdoor" dog/cat, why can't I let him/her roam around my neighborhood?

Village of Ashwaubenon ordinance along with Wisconsin State Statute prohibit domestic animals from running at large.  A domestic animal is considered running at large when not on the premises of or within the immediate presence and control of its owner or keeper.  There are many concerns associated with domestic animals running at large including property damage, acquiring or passing diseases, attacking humans or other animals, personal injury to animal (ex. getting struck by a car.), etc.  In addition any cat or dog that is not securely confined to the owner or keeper's property, must wear a collar with the license tag provided at the time of licensing.

Do my dogs and cats have to be vaccinated in order to keep them in the Village?

Ashwaubenon Village ordinance, along with Wisconsin State Statutes requires ALL dogs over 5 months of age inoculated with anti-rabies vaccine by a veterinarian every 2 years.  At this time, the Village of Ashwaubenon does not require that cats be vaccinated for rabies although it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.  In addition to an anti-rabies vaccine, any other vaccines recommended by your veterinarian are recommended but not required.

What do I do if my dog or cat bites someone or I get bitten by a dog or cat?

First, you should seek medical attention if needed.  Second, if the animal has broken the skin either by biting or scratching it needs to be reported.  The animal will be placed into quarantine for a period of ten days in which it will be observed no less than three times by a veterinarian to determine if the animal has any diseases such as rabies that could be passed to the victim.  The location of the quarantine depends on whether the animal is up to date on vaccinations.  The results of the veterinarian's observations will be shared with the department taking the report, the Brown County Health Department, the animal owner, and the victim.  This procedure allows timely diagnosis of potentially dangerous conditions and allows the victim to receive the necessary medical treatment.

What should I do when I walk my dog and it defecates in someone else's yard?

Village of Ashwaubenon ordinance prohibits any person who has custody of an animal to allow the animal to defecate on any property other than that of the owner of custodian, unless the custodian immediately thereafter cleans up and removes such animal excreta from such property.  In addition, no person who has custody of an animal shall walk or escort such animal off the property of the owner or custodian, unless the person is in possession of equipment to clean up any defecation which may be deposited by such animal.

On hot summer days, I always see dogs left in cars in parking lots.  What can I do about this?

Leaving dogs unattended in hot vehicles with no water is considered mistreatment of animas and is illegal.  If you see a dog that you believe is in distress or in danger, call the police immediately.  Dogs do not have the ability to sweat or deal with heat as efficiently as humans do.  This along with the fact that temperatures inside of a vehicle can raise 1 degree Fahrenheit per minute when a vehicle is parked in the sun (even with the windows open) is a deadly combination.  Dogs to into heat stroke very quickly and many times it is an irreversible process.  Animal owners should leave their animals at home on hot days.